About Me

Streamlining Your Company

There aren't many things that make me mad, but when it comes to running a company, few things are more frustrating to me than lazy employees. A few months ago I started keeping closer tabs on my workers, and it became immediately clear that there were some team members that didn't care at all about things like productivity, saving money, and doing the right thing. I wanted to do something to correct the situation, so I started honing our processes, holding more team meetings, and perfecting the processes. This blog is all about streamlining your company and making things right.

Search

Tags

Archive

Streamlining Your Company

3 Common Sources of Carbon Monoxide in the Home

by Elmer Johnson

Carbon monoxide is more than just a problematic gas; it's a deadly one. That's why it's important to do everything you can to keep carbon monoxide from being an issue in your home. If you would like to learn more about protecting yourself from this life-threatening gas, read on. This article will discuss three common sources of carbon monoxide inside the home.

Fireplaces

Fireplaces represent one of the most common sources of carbon monoxide in the home. This is true not just of traditional hearth-style fireplaces but also of wood stoves and even gas-burning stoves.

Where traditional fireplaces are concerned, the problem often stems from a chimney that has become clogged or blocked entirely by debris such as leaves, soot, and animal carcasses. Improper venting caused by any of these factors leads to a buildup of carbon monoxide and other dangerous gases inside the home. Having your chimney cleaned on a regular basis is the best way to prevent this problem.

Poor ventilation is also usually the cause of elevated carbon-monoxide levels where wood and gas-burning stoves are concerned. This is often the result of poor ventilation, whether within the stove or within the room. If the fireplace's damper isn't open wide enough, the fire will tend to burn at a lower level. Smoldering fires produce much more carbon monoxide than roaring ones due to incomplete combustion. Be sure that your damper is set to an appropriate openness, and try to keep one of the windows in the room cracked as well.

Ventless Space Heaters

Ventless space heaters, though prized for their convenience, represent a serious threat of carbon-monoxide poisoning. In fact, this threat is so great that in California the use of ventless space heaters has been completely banned. The problem with these gas-burning heaters is that they discharge their combustion products directly into the room where they are located.

Safe use of a ventless space heater thus requires full ventilation system. Yet it can be difficult to determine when the ventilation inside of a room is insufficient. The best plan is to avoid their use altogether. If that is not an option, be sure to have a carbon-monoxide detector installed nearby to do gas testing.

Furnaces

Furnaces can develop carbon-monoxide leaks in a number of different ways. For instance, a cracked heat exchanger will allow uncombusted gas into the air. Likewise, a bad thermocouple will fail to perform its job of shutting off the gas flow should the pilot light go out. Finally, cracks or holes in the flue pipe can allow exhaust gases into your home. Be sure to have your furnace inspected regularly to avoid such problems.

Share